Friday 14 June 2013

Thumb Twiddling championships!!!!!

OK, so before I broke up from school I was discussing with a friend my plan for the summer. I replied that I would be twiddling my thumbs and trying to beat my previous record.

It turns out in some counties there are actually Thumb Twiddling Competitions in which people compete to twiddle their thumbs the most within a set time limit!

Now people may laugh at this, but the art of thumb twiddling is a hard one to master. Firstly, you must get your hands in the correct formation, like this:














Once you've done this, you can begin to twiddle. Your thumbs must pass under and over each other, in a clockwise direction. You may find the faster you go, the harder it is to twiddle without touching your thumbs.  This is because twiddling at high speeds requires a high level of dexterity. As a veteran gamer, my dexterity, reaction times and fine motor skills are of an impeccable standard (that said, I can't tie laces; know how, just can't do it. I blame my aneurysm.).

Being able to twiddle fast enough to travel back when equipped with a flux capacitor isn't the end of your troubles though.  The size and shape of your hand-based ligaments can affect your thumb twiddling mastery. Generally the bigger your thumbs, the harder it is. I'm lucky enough to have developed several callus (or calli?) on my fingers, most likely from writing before the days of computers (not that I do much of that any more, shame really). This can make it exceptionally difficult to effectively twiddle your thumbs. However, as a master of the art allows you to develop your own twiddling technique.

In time, maybe I'll visit county Durham and have a shot at being the very best, like no one ever was.
For now, I'll just keep writing on this blog.

EDIT: I just remembered, go to this blog and vote for Noah. I hear you saying "What's in it for me?" Well, you will earn a certain girl's everlasting platonic love!

No comments:

Post a Comment